LINK UP: The Orchestra Rocks!
in partnership with Carnegie Hall’s Weill Music Institute
Wednesday, March 4, 2020
Ohio Theatre, 10:00 am & 11:35 am
Rossen Milanov, conductor
The Columbus Symphony Orchestra is proud to partner with Carnegie Hall's Weill Music Institute to present LINK UP: The Orchestra Rocks! This highly-participatory program for students in grades 3-5 unites the classroom with the concert hall, giving students the opportunity to explore music through a year-long curriculum of classroom activities and then attend a culminating concert where they sing and play recorders with the orchestra from their seats. Teachers may choose from one of three program paths, Basic, Basic+, or Advanced, depending on the level of involvement they would like to have for their students.
Link Up with the Columbus Symphony
To watch the Carnegie Hall video about this highly interactive program, click here.
The Orchestra Rocks Repertoire includes:
- "Anvil Chorus" from Il trovatore
- "Dance of the Adolescents" from The Rite of Spring
- "O Fortuna" from Carmina Burana
- Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 4
LINK UP TIMELINE:
- Early registration must be completed by October 18, 2019. After this date, only digital materials may be available.
- Payment for the yearlong program must be received by November 12.
- Required attendance at the Link Up workshop: Thursday, Nov. 14, 4:30pm (see below)
- $5 per student/adult. For every 20 paid student tickets, schools will receive one complimentary chaperone ticket. Ticket availability is not guaranteed. Reservations will be made on a first-come/first-served basis.
- Recorders may be purchased for this concert at $2.50 (Tudor brand, courtesy of Music & Arts)
TICKET PRICE INCLUDES:
- LINK UP resources for students.
- LINK UP curriculum guide for teachers, featuring lessons on singing, playing the soprano recorder, reading and notating music, and composing and improvising.
- Professional Development session for participating teachers
- Access to Carnegie Hall’s online resource center with additional lessons and resources
TEACHER PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT WORKSHOP
- Participating teachers will be asked to attend an informational session to learn about the LINK UP curriculum and discuss strategies for classroom implementation. Thursday, Nov. 14, 4:30pm at the Ohio Theatre
- Forms will be available at the workshop for teachers to request PDUs.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION, please contact:
Director of Education
Columbus Symphony Orchestra
Special thanks to Music & Arts for their generous support.