Music Educator Awards
Established in 1997, the Columbus Symphony’s Music Educator Awards recognize those individuals who instill and inspire a love of music in the children and adults of central Ohio. The purpose of these annual awards is to promote a greater understanding of and appreciation for music education, as well as to honor those individuals who are making a real difference in our community through their dedication to music education. One award is honored in each of the following categories:
Elementary Music Educator Secondary Music Educator Private/Community-Based Teachers Lifetime Achievement
Each Music Educator Award winner receives a monetary grant to be spent at their direction for a broad range of music education endeavors, such as purchasing music, instrument repair, or professional development classes for the educator. The nomination process takes place from January 25-March 5. For additional information, please call (614) 221-4916.
2020-2021 Music Educator Awards
Nominations: January 25th-March 5th
Finalists Round: March 15th-19th
Winners Notified by: April 2nd
MEA Awards and Dinner: TBD
Nominees should be music educators in the central Ohio area who:
- Make a lasting difference in the lives of students of all abilities and backgrounds
- Routinely go “above and beyond the call of duty” by extending efforts beyond the classroom
- Make a significant impact on their community through music education
- Inspire students to reach appropriately high levels of musical understanding and ability
- Demonstrate longevity in the field of music education by their many years of work
- Instill a lifelong appreciate of music in their students
First Round: Candidate Nominations
Nominations must include:
- Notation of the educator’s nomination category – elementary, secondary, or private/community-based teacher, and lifelong achievement.
- Nominee's information: name, place of employment, title, home and work addresses, email address, number of years in current position, and total years experience in music education
- Nominator’s information: name, email address, relationship to nominee, home and work addresses, and phone number.
- One essay of 500 characters or less describing how your canidate best reflects the Music Educator Awards nomination criteria.
- Deadline for all first round nominations due Friday, March 5th.
Second Round: Finalists
• Category finalists will be contacted the week of March 15th.
• Each finalist will need to secure three letters of recommendation OR participate in a finalist interview to be considered
• All winners announced on or before April 2nd.
2020 Music Educator Award Winners
Additional 2020 nominees for this award are listed below. To see a list of past award recipients, CLICK HERE.
Debra Keller-Perry | Elementary Educator
Daniel Gleich | Secondary Educator
Susan Larson | Community Educator
Other nominees included
- William Giacomelli, Hilliard City Schools
- Nicole Mazon, Hilliard City Schools
- Angel Hillyard, West Jefferson Schools
- Kara Johansen, Worthington City Schools
- Nick Gonzalez, The Goddard School
- James Becker, The Wellington School
- Dustin O'Neill, Columbus City Schools
- Keith Watson, River View Local Schools
- Tom Traini, South-Western City Schools
- Joshua Reynolds, Columbus City Schools
- Nick Crowther, Hilliard City Schools
- Chad Wulf, director of the Singing Buckeyes Barbershop Chorus
- Chris Kuhn, Westerville City Schools
- Mary Fran Cassady, director of the Dublin Singers