Assistant Conductor to the Columbus Symphony and Music Director of the CSYO
Job Summary - The Columbus Symphony seeks a qualified conductor to fulfill roles as an Assistant Conductor to the Columbus Symphony and Music Director of the Columbus Symphony Youth Orchestra (CSYO). Columbus Symphony has served as central Ohio’s flagship music organization since 1951. Guided by the artistic vision of Music Director, Rossen Milanov, the Columbus Symphony offers four programming “brands” – Masterworks, Pops, Picnic with the Pops, and Education/Community Engagement – that are targeted to appeal to diverse audiences throughout central Ohio.
The Columbus Symphony Youth Orchestras celebrates their 63rd season in 2017-2018. Established in 1955, the Youth Orchestras program has expanded to include four ensembles and two seasonal ensembles.
- Works closely with the Music Director and acts as a cover conductor for subscription concerts
- Participates on the artistic team of the Columbus Symphony together with the Music Director, Principal Pops Conductor, and the Director of Artistic Planning
- Conducts Columbus Symphony education, outreach, and youth/family concerts, as assigned
- Music Director duties for the Columbus Symphony Youth Orchestra (CSYO), including:
- Programs and conducts the concert season
- Organizes and holds auditions
- Recruits and retains orchestra members
- Maintains relationships with constituents such as parents, board members, and Columbus Symphony coaches
- Works in collaboration with the Director of Education to maintain fiscally responsible seasons and initiatives
- Overseeing and advising on artistic elements of junior ensembles within the Youth Orchestras program
- Serves as a community ambassador for the Columbus Symphony and CSYO
- Advanced studies in music
- Previous conducting experience and ability to run efficient rehearsals
- Experience communicating with audiences (youth and adult) from the podium
- Experience with youth orchestra conducting, coaching, and mentoring
- Passion for community involvement and classical music advocacy
- Must be able to legally work in the United States
Compensation: Commensurate with experience, annual contract with the possibility of extension.
To Apply: Please email the application materials listed below to Daniel Walshaw at firstname.lastname@example.org by December 3, 2017. Applicants will receive notification of their status by December 15, 2017 and auditions/interviews will be held in Columbus on January 17-19, 2018.
- Cover letter
- Two letters of recommendation
- Video of applicant conducting contrasting works (preferably a downloadable file or YouTube link)
Position Summary: The Columbus Symphony Marketing Department is looking for an audience engagement intern to assist with event marketing as well as in-office marketing responsibilities. This internship is unpaid, around 20 hours per week for 12 weeks, with weekend and evening availability required. You can view the calendar of events here.
- Coordinating and assisting with Columbus Symphony events and performances
- Concert set up, enhancement and volunteer coordination
- Assist in digital and social media initiatives
- Analyze and report on data analytics
- Grassroots distribution of marketing materials
- Relationship building and teamwork within a fast-paced office environment
- Other duties as assigned
What We Are Looking For:
- Upper level and/or graduate student pursing a degree in Marketing, Arts Management, PR or Music preferred
- Individuals who are passionate about the arts
- Excellent computer skills
- Working knowledge of marketing on social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.
- Ability to multi-task
- Professionally represent the Columbus Symphony at concerts and in the community
- Available to work some evenings and weekends
- Must have reliable transportation and a smart phone
- CAPA background check required
What You Will Learn:
- Marketing, social media, and communication strategies
- Analyzing and reporting on digital marketing
- Event coordination and planning
- Relationship building and teamwork
To Apply, please email your resume to Holly Wiencek at email@example.com